My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Hi everyone, I'm Nick. I'm a 20 year-old college student in Washington state, looking to major in political science and minor in finance. I currently attend community college but am planning on transferring to the University of Washington.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

It's Do-Or-Die Time For Rudy

Five days. That's how much time that Rudy Giuliani has left to make his case for the Republican nomination. Five short days before Floridans go to the polls and decide his fate, and the direction of this election. Five days until he looks like either a genius or a fool. That's it. If he doesn't win, the race is down to two candidates: McCain and Romney. If he does win, he throws the race wide open heading into Super Tuesday.

To be frank, I'm unimpressed with both McCain and Romney, so I hope the first scenario I presented doesn't come to pass. Neither man has been my first choice throughout this whole process, as I thought Giuliani and Thompson would make better presidents. That said, I'm tired of hearing Republicans say that if their man doesn't win the nomination, they'll either sit out the election, or even worse, vote for the Democratic candidate. I think it's a ridiculous notion to say that Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton would make better leaders for this country than Huck, Mitt, McCain, or Giuliani. That's simply not true. I understand some Republicans being upset if their first, second, or even third choice isn't the nominee, but to simply give the presidency to the Democrats is not the correct response to their frustrations. No matter how bad you think it would be if a certain Republican was elected, I guarantee it would be worse under Hillary or Obama.

Even if we have to clamp our noses with clothespins or Vice Grips when we go to cast our ballots, we should still do so knowing that if we choose to sit out, we concede defeat to the Democrats. I don't know about you, but I'm not one to concede anything to anyone on the left without a fight. The stakes are too high and the challenges are too great to sit out one of the most important presidential elections of our lifetime. Don't make that mistake; choose victory, not defeat.

Site Meter